ActivityHave a look at these pictures. Which one is closer to your concept of what the English language is like?
In your opinion, is English like a planet? Or is it more like a galaxy? Think about this question for a couple of minutes and note down the reasons for your choice before looking at our feedback.
You might think English is more like a planet because you believe that:
- • it is a single object
- • it has clear boundaries
- • it has an unambiguous shape and form
- • it is uniform and stable
You might think English is more like a galaxy because you believe that:
- • it is made up of multiple, coalescing objects
- • it has fuzzy boundaries
- • it has an ambiguous shape and form
- • it is variable, hybrid, and dynamic