Home Forums Discussion Board Discussion 5.1 – Local Intelligence

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      admin adminadmin
      Keymaster

My teaching context is mostly focused in private language schools or language schools associated with private universities, so public policy makers do not have much say here. In my experience within my contexts, either academic directors or teachers create the syllabi for classes, following guidelines from accreditation institutions that audit them. I’m not sure how much input is gotten from professional organization or other experts, although I agree this should be implemented. I would like to hear from someone who works in a public institution, though, and get some insight on how their curriculum is created.
      I do not see any signs of “relaxation of Standard English norms” or any sort of acknowledgement of World Englishes myself. Does anyone else have any other experience in this sense?

To view past replies go to: https://changingenglishes.proboards.com/thread/27/local-intelligence

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by admin adminadmin.

Most of the he private colleges and universities in Egypt are accredited to foreign universities abroad.

Here, in Sri Lanka policies are designed at the national level considering most of the academic and professional bodies, but the pathetic condition lies in the implementation process where poor management and lack of supervision make the decisions enforced become null. And, sometimes what happens is policy decisions of teaching English changes with the change of political regimes.

Dauda PikawiDauda Pikawi

In Nigeria experts are usually involved in the curriculum development though some times it comes with politics. But not much has been done recently on English language, it is still the monolithic conception they hold.

In my local university, curriculum development is not as fast compared to others since we need to conduct surveys if it was effective or not. Oftentimes, the curriculum design is more of monolithic concepts which make me feel sad.

In Sri Lanka, the decisions on English curriculum and English exams are designed by English professionals, professors, including lecturers, teachers in Sri Lanka. They are working and instructed under Ministry of Education. According to my opinion, we need to make an impact on future changes in the curriculum. For that, we can refer to international research and adapt them in the Sri Lankan context accordingly.

I want to comment on the standardized tests they use for entry to American universities. The “grammar” section of those tests is so out of date, honestly! I guess I know that college professors might not be as flexible about language use, but even native speakers I teach are bewildered by some of the grammar rules because they’ve never heard anyone say things that way.

I also don’t see a whole lot of relaxation of the rules on the other English learner standardized tests either.

Maybe one day!

Taking exams is a challenge even for English teachers.

I am OK with exams. I practice every day

As I have written it numerous times (during the course), I do not really fancy academic or standard English.
      I sometimes dub them bog-standard English.
      To me accents and dialects are more fascinating.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.