Home Forums Discussion Board Discussion 1.1 – The word “Language”

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      adminadmin
      Keymaster

Like the example of Spanish, Romanian is another language in which there are a few words for “language” with different conceptualizations: ‘limba’, ‘limbaj’ and ‘vorbire’/’grai’. These are, in fact, equivalents of the Spanish words. This is probably because both languages are of Latin origin, as I’ve found that with German, for instance, this is not the case (the only word being Sprache). Can anyone confirm? I think the different conceptualizations tend to be more plurilithic, as they recognize the uses of language by different groups.

I like the verbification of the noun “language” (just like many many other nouns) because it conveys that language is always in motion, transforming, being dynamic, and not passive, as some might erroneously think. We can see this use in the word “translanguaging’, for instance.

To view past replies go to: https://changingenglishes.proboards.com/thread/5/discussion-pt-1-word-language

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by adminadmin.

It is good to learn that the words for “language” can be expressed in different ways in Spanish. The word “language” in my mother tongue, Chinese, is commonly expressed with one term “yuˇyenˊ” .

Joshua TanJoshua Tan

I have limited understanding in linguistics so do call me out if I have erred. What I do understand, however, is that the word “language” in Malay language is “bahasa”. It refers to the totality of the language which we have spoken. If we were to refer to a body of system, we simply add the word “sistem” before “bahasa” to mean the system of a language. If we were to talk about the writing system, we would have used the term “sistem tulisan” (writing system). In other words, there is a clear demarcation between the spoken language and the written language in Malay language.

It is interesting, there are other words using in different contexts in the process of learning a language.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.