Home Forums Reflection Forum Reflection 1.2 – Correctness in Language

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      adminadmin
      Keymaster

Thank you for the information in this part of the course! I have to start by saying I got thorough 3 minutes of teacher Ronnie’s video on double negatives before I had to turn it off. I was genuinely shocked at her attack of artists and their lyrics and the kind of language she used to describe these. I have admittedly recommended to my students before to use YouTube as a tool for revising grammar, given that there’s a multitude of teachers offering lessons on there. I might think twice after watching this particular lesson….

As someone who has learned English in a quite prescriptive classroom environment (as I’m sure many of us have) and then later taught it the same way, I’m guilty of having taught that double negative are “incorrect” and that the McDonald’s slogan “I’m loving it” is “wrong” and you cannot use the stative verb ‘love’ in the continuous form. I no longer agree with these strict views and have taken a totally different approach in class now. It is still difficult, however, when you are teaching EAP, for instance. Does anyone have any experiences with “correctness” inside or outside the classroom?

To view past replies go to: https://changingenglishes.proboards.com/thread/8/correctness-language

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by adminadmin.

As a teacher in English I have personally come across many instances when I’m not sure whether to correct or leave alone some of the expressions used by the students in my English classroom. I find myself in a conflicting situation because the institutional responsibility that is imposed upon me is to ensure that the students learn the “correct” English in my class so that they will be “properly” equipped with the academic activities they are to engage in as university students whereas my awareness of the discourse of different Englishes and diversity makes me feel guilty every time I’m obliged to correct a student’s “ungrammatical” expression in speech or writing. Such conflicts occur because these ideas regarding different ways of using English have not really got too deep into fields like ESP/EAP teaching which take a rather matter of fact approach to English language teaching/learning as far as I’m concerned.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.