Home Forums Reflection Forum Unit 1 Reflections

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      adminadmin
      Keymaster

In terms of how sustainable monolithic ideas about English are, I can confidently now say that in our globalized world they are not sustainable. It is unrealistic to expect that in a classroom in which the teacher is a “non-native” speaker and their students are Chinese, Mexican, Saudi Arabian, German, Dutch, French etc. everyone’s English will be the same, uniform and “standard”. And it would be quite boring if it were, wouldn’t it?

It is still a struggle in classrooms in the US or the UK for instance, or in South Korea or China as well (some years ago schools in these countries were requiring that English teachers applying to teach there have a passport from an “English-speaking country” like US, UK, Australia etc. They might still be requiring this), because I think that even if one tried to teach a standardized form on English, it would not ‘come out’ as such in the majority of learners, but it still expected, especially in a highly academic context. And because teachers want their students to get into a US or UK university, they will teach the English needed for them to do so. I suppose one must always adapt to their context.

With the ELT industry being so profitable, it is hard to imagine English varieties being totally accepted and taught in schools and universities, but I do hope that with the high number of NNS teachers and also different student needs, that this will change in time. Hard to imagine the big proficiency tests accommodating for local varieties though…thoughts on this?

To view past replies go to: https://changingenglishes.proboards.com/thread/9/unit-1-reflections

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by adminadmin.
      Sahar AmerSahar Amer

English is more like a galaxy than a planet Many people have a monolithic concept of English and other languages Linguists believe that monolithic concepts of language(s) are idealisations Monolithic concepts of English are associated with the rise of ‘Standard English’ Monolithic concepts of English developed for both social and cognitive reasons
      Rules can be seen as ‘regularities’ describing ‘actual’ usage

Sahar AmerSahar Amer

English is more like a galaxy than a planet Many people have a monolithic concept of English and other languages Linguists believe that monolithic concepts of language(s) are idealisations Monolithic concepts of English are associated with the rise of ‘Standard English’ Monolithic concepts of English developed for both social and cognitive reasons
      Rules can be seen as ‘regularities’ describing ‘actual’ usage

English is one of the most popular languages in the world . People from different countries learn English as a second language to get a better job . It’s a global language . People have different concepts of English .

While accepting the existence of different varieties/forms of English, it is also necessary to pay attention to the hegemonic power of the already established varieties of English which are considered to be the standard/legitimate varieties. It is difficult if not impossible to destabilize the hegemonic power of the so-termed standard varieties of English until these varieties are reinforced by the existing socio-economic and political structures. In view of this, which variety of English is to be taught in a classroom becomes more of a political choice rather than a linguistic one.

In terms of how sustainable monolithic ideas about English are , I say that people are naturally different. We have different thoughts , ideas , beliefs , family background and cultures . Each one has a different style. Being an Egyptian English teacher , I do my best to help my students communicate in English with native speakers to master the target language . In Egypt , we have information schools , Experimental language schools and governmental schools. Students are taught English by non native speakers of English in governmental schools , but international schools employ teachers with a native passport . Not all students are the same , some students speak English the same way as a native speaker. We must admit that that the term sustainable seems boring .
      Moving to the standard English ,I do believe that it should be given due care for exams and professional career development . We need students to master the standard English to keep up to date with the 21 century .
      English is the most popular language all over the world . Millions of learners attempt to learn it for different reasons . Travelling abroad is the most important reason either to study in a European university or get a job . In Egypt most subjects in universities are taught in English , That’s why all Egyptians are eager to learn the English language .

English is more like a galaxy than a planet , English is like a wheel go to oneplace to many places , no boundary its flexible.
      English is diversity language.

English is more like a galaxy than a planet. English enables us to know customs and taditions of the western culture. It gives us the chance to meet people and commuicatice With them in English. It helps us to meet new people and make friends With them. We turn to a global citizen who can understand different culture and widen his scope of knowledge. Thanks to English, many doors will be opened infront of you to achieve your dreams.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.