Home Forums Reflection Forum Reflection 3.1 – L2 Learners – Declarative vs Procedural Knowledge

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      adminadmin
      Keymaster

Very interesting! The video explained this complex concept in a very efficient way!
      I agree with the conclusion that what learners are taught as rules is not what they know & use in communicative contexts. I had a very good example of this with one student who could communicate with great ease and fluency, who would naturally use some complex grammatical forms in a way we would consider ‘correct’, and others not so ‘correctly’ but effectively, nonetheless. However, he struggled massively in actual grammar class and in quizzes I could see him whisper to himself and make helpful hand gestures while struggling to think of and apply the rules. He clearly did not assimilate what he was taught formally, but had great command of the language and I was convinced would have no problem communicating. I wish we didn’t have to test students in such ways (e.g. in this institution teachers were required to give a weekly quiz…), nor teach rules prescriptively. I recognize there has been some departure from this in the form of inductive learning, but in too many cases there is still the expectation and sort of built-in sense of obligation to teach rules. Thoughts?

To view past replies go to: https://changingenglishes.proboards.com/thread/15/l2-learners-declarative-procedural-knowledge

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by adminadmin.

It is better to learn and practice at the same time. These two processes must parallel side by side.

Procedural memory and Declarative memory play vital role on students’ linguistic competence. And as language teachers, it is important that we know when to teach Standard English without compromising students’ communicative competence.

Fluency and accuracy in English are both important for me. Though it is really impossible that students would remember and apply all the grammatical rules that we teach, what matters most is that they can communicate in the target language.

What we teach as ‘correct usage ‘ of L2 in classrooms may have drastic variations on their real life exposure to L2 where there can be vast entities of pluralistic mixtures in day to day functions. Sometimes, if they are advanced learners, they’ll identify the variations or alternatives, but if not these variations themselves will embed in their memory and lead to fossilization ,and in formal or planned L2 contexts such as classrooms the teachers might find it hard to take the learners into the so called correct track of using English.

Dauda PikawiDauda Pikawi

I agree that what learners are actually taught is not what they may end up practically using. I am a good example of those endless rules that many atimes you forget while speaking, unless I become conscious I barely remember them.

Declarative and procedural knowledge mutually operate in the human being’s brain. Most importantly, these two aspects help a learner in both L1 and L2 learning. When a child starts to learn his or her mother tongue, their procedural knowledge memory starts working. Basically, it makes an unconscious procedure. For instance, the child learns to listen and then speak the language he or she can hear from his or her parents. It is basically, babbling. Then, when it comes to the declarative memory, the procedure is complex because it has a conscious memory proceeding where a child starts to learn L2 language. For instance, learning English language (L2) at school, the proceedings are used such as Dictation, Writing essays, writing letters, speak the language. Basically, here the child needs to make an effort to acquire the language.

That was a very interesting video! It also reaffirmed some of the things I learned as a speaking examiner for the Cambridge exams (PET, FCE, CAE). We learn that there is no such thing as perfection when assessing a candidate. We also learn that ease of communication is more important that total accuracy. Is the candidate intelligible? Is the candidate able to use the language effectively most of the time?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.