Home Forums Reflection Forum Reflection 3.2 – ‘Learning/teaching cultures’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      adminadmin
      Keymaster

Not sure if this goes against plurilithic approaches directly, but one educational philosophy that comes to mind regarding teaching English in the US in the “English only” policy that many (if not all?) language schools have. Students must abide by this rule when inside the classroom and are encouraged to use it around the school during their free time as well. While I understand the good intentions behind this policy, it does feel a bit like a coercive measure. Perhaps advanced speakers have no issues with this but what about the beginner level learners who need to use all their linguistic resources to express a thought? It also feels like their own languages are somehow kicked to the curb and seen as inferior and must not be used or else. I don’t feel like this is sending a positive message or creating an inclusive environment for the learner, yet we constantly hear teachers complain about the use of L1 in class. I agree that if a group of students in constantly talking about their weekend plans in their L1 during class that can be disrespectful and can disturb the class, but if they are trying to create/negotiate meaning, this should not be penalized. Does any one have experience with this policy, and what do you think of it?
      (I read an article once about an issue at a university in the US where a director had sent an email to the Chinese student population asking them to refrain from speaking Chinese in the cafeteria (!) This was after professors had complained about this to the head. I couldn’t believe it and it goes against human rights at that point, in my view. Thoughts?)

To view past replies go to: https://changingenglishes.proboards.com/thread/18/learning-teaching-cultures

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by adminadmin.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.