Home Forums Reflection Forum Unit 4 Reflections

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      adminadmin
      Keymaster

When it comes to styles & registers and English varieties, mine is different than my students’, and each of my students’ is different than mine and than each other’s. We all come from different countries, cultures, L1s, backgrounds, own English learning experiences, and life experiences, so it can only be that our Englishes are different. I think what’s important is to recognize that and give it a voice and use that voice, and not want to sound like the abstract idea of perfect English (which isn’t even possible, as we’ve learned here). One thing I’ve noticed here in the US is that students come here to learn American English and they expect American teachers but at one of the schools I teach we have nowadays more non-native teachers than native. So when students see this I think there is some initial skepticism, but that quickly becomes encouragement. As language facilitators we have to help our learners understand that they are already users, that their English is valid and that they certainly don’t need accent reduction classes, for instance. Figuring out their goal is essential but also teaching them how realistic that goal is, without discouraging them from wanting to pursue language improvement. Maybe redefining what that means?

To view past replies go to: https://changingenglishes.proboards.com/thread/24/unit-4-reflections

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by adminadmin.
      Sahar AmerSahar Amer

Students use English in different ways:
      Let’s look at some:
      1- blogging
      2- collaborative writing in wikis, Google Documents, etc.
      3- fanfiction and creative ‘remixing’
      4- instant messaging on computer
      5- multiplayer online gaming
      6- social networking (e.g. Facebook)
      7- text messaging on mobile phones
      Students bring in online texts in English which are relevant to their current interests and future plans, and, with the help of the teacher, try to understand how and why the use of English in these texts is both similar to and different from the ‘Standard English’ models used in the classroom.

People learn English as a second language for different reasons. The first and the most important reason is communicating with native speakers . Most learners of English attempt to master English to travel abroad and improve their standard of living.

Leaners of English learn English for different reasons. They try hard to master the target language to achieve their dreams . Let’s share more light on the reasons behind learning English.
      1 Using the social media
      2 travelling abroad
      3 learning in a European university
      4 most subjects are taught in English
      5 getting A better job
      6 read international books
      7 communicating with native speakers
      8 passing proficiency tests ,Ielts
      9 personal desire to grow professionally
      10 find a job in a European country

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.